Asturias: a natural paradise
A magnificent region between the sea and the mountains, with more than 200 beaches spread over 340 km of preserved coastline.
On the northern coast of Spain, bordered by Galicia and Cantabria, the Principality of Asturias is home to unsuspected treasures. Within its territory, it combines spectacular nature, between sea and mountains, fishing villages where life is good, prehistoric sites and a remarkable heritage, not to mention an original gastronomy. Casa de Babel is located in the central part of Asturias. This region, both mountainous and coastal, has many natural enclaves, some of which are classified by UNESCO.
The house is located 10 min from Cudillero, 20 min from Oviedo airport, 30 min from Avilés, 40 min from Oviedo and Gijón and 10 min from the beaches, especially the Beach of Silence, one of the most beautiful beaches in Asturias.
Discover our beautiful region on video:
Ideas for visits & activities in the region :
Walks around the promontories (exceptional views) :
- Cape Vidio: 100 m high cliffs located in Oviñana, 7 km from Argatón.
- Cape Busto: in the area of Luarca, Valdés council, one of the most beautiful coastal enclaves in Western Asturias, located next to the village of Busto (Bustu). You can follow the route from the viewpoint to the bakery.
- Cape de Peñas: the most northerly cape in the Principality of Asturias. Cliffs over 100 metres high. In the vicinity of the lighthouse, you will find one of the most spectacular views of the Cantabrian Sea, with impressive cliff landscapes, as well as a circular route along the coast.
For the adventurous:
- Las Catedrales Beach, (Galician: praia das Catedrais), is the tourist name for the beach of Aguas Santas, located in the Galician municipality of Ribadeo, on the coast of the province of Lugo. It is located about ten kilometres west of the town of Ribadeo. It is known by this name because of the appearance of its cliffs. It has been declared a natural monument by the Department of the Environment of the Regional Government of Galicia.
- Las Ubiñas-La Mesa Nature Reserve: go to Grado and then pass through Trubia, Villanueva and Proaza, charming villages (N-634 / AS-228).
- Somiedo Nature Reserve and circular route around the Saliencia lakes. The start of the circular route around the Saliencia lakes is located on the SD-1 road, in Alto de la Farrapona, on the border between the Asturian community and the province of León. There is a good-sized car park where you can park and start your walk.
- Picos de Europa: the largest nature park in Spain, and indeed in Europe, Los Picos de Europa straddles Cantabria, Castilla y León and Asturias, with each region offering a significantly different landscape. Hiking enthusiasts will enjoy the countless walks available, discovering wild landscapes. If you see that the skies are clear and the weather is mild, don’t hesitate and head for the Covadonga lakes in the heart of Picos de Europa, on the Asturias side.
- San Pedro de la Ribera or de Bocamar. Access from Soto de Luiña. 10 km away.
- Concha de Artedo. Signposted on the N-632. 5 km.
- Vallina. Cellar and Peñadoria. In Oviñana.
- El Gavieiru or Playa del Silencio. In Castañeras (Novellana).
- Riocabo or Ballota Beach. In Ballota.
Cities & monuments :
- Luarca, its port, its museums, its architecture, its forest-garden of the Fonte Baixa…, and its beautiful surroundings.
- Climb up to Brañas Vaqueiras to see the buildings and way of life of the present-day Vaqueiros and continue to the wind farm. From here there are some very interesting panoramic views. About 5 km from Argatón.
- Church of San Martín de Luiña. With inscriptions on the floor discriminating the vaqueiros, of great ethnographic value. You can also see the burials according to social classes.
- Villages of Indian architecture: Ballota, San Martín de Luiña and Santa Marina (towards Galicia) and Somao (5 km from Cudillero towards Avilés).
- Cudillero: a town declared a “Historic-Artistic Site” and a “Property of Cultural Interest” for the unique character of its buildings on the mountainside.
- Avilés: market, old town, Ferrera park, Niemeyer cultural centre…
- Gijón: beach, promenade, old town, university cultural centre La Laboral, botanical garden…
- Oviedo: capital of Asturias: old town, cathedral, fine arts and archaeological museum, old market, cider boulevard… among other places.